It is traditional to come up with some New Year’s Resolutions to serve as goals for the coming year.
As well as the ‘traditional’ ones (lose weight, be more organized etc etc) I decided to make a few craft related ones too this year.
I wonder how many of you would come up with similar ones. I would love to hear what you think of these, and your own ones.
- Keep my supplies organized!
Yes, I always mean to ensure everything goes in its proper place, but over time things, well, drift. I have sudden flurries of activity when I label up boxes and move things around, but for some reason it rarely stays that way for long. But this year…
- Don’t buy supplies unless I have a project for them.
Well, we all know this won’t happen 🙂 There are always tempting things that I am totally sure I will NEED one day and HAVE to buy. Then they sit on my shelf for ages.
- Never cut paper with my fabric scissors!
I have been quite good with this one in 2012, so I am quite confident I can manage to continue. But I do need to not use my embroidery scissors for decoupage.. I do have decoupage scissors, I have no excuse for this.
- Finish projects before starting new ones.Yeah, right, this is another one that is going to be a struggle, hehe. I have started trying to do more smaller projects so that I get finished before spotting another ‘must do’ one. I am also trying to concentrate on making things I actually need rather than just fancy making for the sake of it 🙂
- Make a case for my knitting needles
My crochet hooks are now nicely housed in a pretty pencil case, but my knitting needle collection seems to have grown and no longer fits in the vintage knitting needle box it previously lived in. When I say ‘vintage’, I mean a bright yellow plastic box from the 1980s, not something beautiful and desirable. So all in all a new case needs making. I have plenty of fabric so no excuse not to design a custom one which is big enough for all the needles, cable needles, stitch holders and other related pointy things.
- Do more of the crafts I have neglectedOk, the real problem here is I do too many crafts. I lost a lot of confidence in some of my crafting and concentrated on just a couple. But now I am enjoying getting back to painting, tatting and patchwork. I have a nice notebook and am keeping lists of idea of things to design or make.
- Try some new techniqies
I have bought a few classes from Blueprint (previously called Craftsy), and some new books on crafting (Amazon is a great source for cheap secondhand books!) and am looking forward to a bit of experimentation and discovery in the New Year (I have already started this). I like learning new techniques and then incorporating them into new projects.
- Do another craft stall!
My mother and I had a little stall at a local even this December. I used regular craft stalls, many years ago, but had not done one for quite a few years. I printed out lots of my Tin Teddy graphics to make into bottle cap necklaces, and some as magnets. I also made paper beads from my papers and mum turned some of these into stunning earrings. And we had SUCH a hoot.
- Make more for the house
It is so ‘on trend’ right now to have lots of crafty things around the house. And I DO like making things. So I really should make more things for my own little house. I have some cushion pads ready to make a couple of nice patchwork covers, and plenty of paint for sprucing up kitchen wear and boxes. I also have back-issues of craft magazines and great websites like Stumbleupon for inspiration.
Make more tutorials!
I do enjoy making video or webpage tutorials for various crafts, and have been thrilled at the positive feedback I have had from the ones I did this year. I have a nice long list of ideas so I am determined to get some of these up and available on my Tin Teddy website and Tin Teddy Videos YouTube channel.
For a detailed look at how I set goals to help me with my craft business, check out Goal Setting for Craft Sellers – listen to the podcast or read the full transcript.
Why not comment and tell me your craftingNew Year Resolutions?