I am making a little book with a 2 page spread for each of the 12 months of 2015. I want to try out some new ideas, include a bit of information which will be fun to look back on, and give myself a little challenge to do each month.
The album is a very simple one, made from Kraft card. The pages are 5″ x 7″ and held together by three book rings. There will be a fancy cover (eventually).
Here is the spread for January.
First, I took 2 pieces of 8″ scrapbook paper, cut them in half and fixed them to the pages with a tape roller. Then trimmed to fit. I used Distress ink around the edge of the page, Tea Dye over the yellow paper and Worn Lipstick over the pink. Yes, I did mess up re-punching one of the holes but I will put some thread through at the end and hide it!
I then used a stencil of a “steam punk butterfly” and pounced Chipped China Distress Ink through it, one on each page. Then I drew some little circles with watercolour pencils – pink middles and yellow around the edge for the bottom of the pages, and reversed for the top. I gently added some water with a waterbrush and left them to dry (in the picture below some of the right hand page is still wet). I added some faux stitching around the edges using a blue Zig Calligraphy pen.I cut out a paper doll with my Silhouette Portrait. She is a print-and-cut design called Lizzie and available from the Silhouette Store. I then cut out some winter clothes (also from the Silhouette Store) using different coloured papers. Strangely her clothes were a little too small, so I ended up cutting her apart (eek!) so as to get her to wear her clothes properly.
I added a little Distress Ink around her edges and later on put a bit watered-down Distress Marker over her clothes so she didn’t look so bright and new when the rest of the page was more shabby looking. I added a few little details with Distress Markers too.
I added Lizzie to the pages, and then some January themed ephemera from Graphics 45. These were from a little calendar pad that came free with a craft magazine in 2013 – I have been waiting for a project to use them on as they are so pretty. I added some written info on the tags, and will add more at the end of the month – I don’t yet know what might happen in the final week of January! Every thing was fixed down with tacky glue. I also added a little banner with a scrap of the pink paper (top left of the spread).
Finally I added a few little faux pearls with Dovecrafts 3D Pearl Effects in Coral and Yellow. I still feel the page looks a bit flat, but am uninspired as to what more to do to it. So I will leave it for now and perhaps something will jump to mind later on.