I never got around to doing the Tim Holtz monthly tags in 2014, and was determined I would do so this year.
For anyone who is not familiar with this fun challenge, every month Tim has a tutorial on his blog, to make a tag. Then participants make their own tags, utilizing whatever elements of Tim’s they wish. It is a great way to try out the new techniques, new products or just be inspired.
Here is my tag for January 2015.
I started by cutting out a nice big tag with my trusty Tim Holtz tag die and Big Shot die-cutting machine. I used mount board as it is so sturdy.
Whilst I have often covered journal pages and tags with tissue paper, I always tend to smooth it right out. So this time I wanted to use Tim’s technique of having crinkles.. so I screwed up the tissue paper first. I glued it down with Decoupatch glue as this stays wet for longer than my usual Ranger matt medium – and I wanted to be sure to get some crinkles!
I don’t yet have any Distress Paints, so I used Distress Ink instead. I dabbed Peacock Feathers and Salty Ocean around the tag then rubbed it in with my fingers.. it blended beautifully. I then gave it a quick spritz of water and left it to mostly dry.
Then I used a Ranger foam applicator and added some Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink to the left side and bottom of the tag and rubbed it in with my fingers. I added some more around the edges of the tag. I scribbled a little Tea Dye distress marker in the same area whilst it was still wet.
Then I took some Ranger Perfect Pearls dust (Perfect Gold) and with my finger tip I rubbed it over the tag so it stuck on the tops of the crinkles. I added a bit more to the left and bottom sides. The shiny effect does not really show in a photo, but it is very nice in real life.
I cut out the words and number with my Silhouette Portrait, cutting each three times from kraft card. I then layered them up using PVA glue. I used PVA because it is slow drying, and wanted to be sure I had time to ensure each word was properly lined up.
I painted them with black acrylic paint. I then applied Crackle Glaze to the two words, waited until it dried, then gold acrylic paint over the top. I waited for this to dry… and… nothing happened. No crackles 🙁
So then I attempted to distress the words with a black Posco paint pen, which didn’t really work, so I ended up making some suspicious looking stitch marks on them. Not really happy with this, perhaps I will change them later.
I made the 5 in a very similar way to Tim, but I used some Docrafts glitter on mine, as I don’t have the Distress Glitter. I just spread tacky glue all over the 5, then sprinkled on plenty of the glitter and waited for it to dry. Yay, bling!
I made my own set of word labels in Photoshop, so I could have sentiments that were personal to me. I want 2015 to be a very artistic and crafty year, so emphasized those things. I pounced the words with Tea Dye distress ink, then edged them with Peacock Feathers (I so love that colour!).
Everything was glued on with Collall tacky glue and left to dry. Then I added a little black ink around the edges.
Finally I found a piece of teal coloured satin ribbon. I scribbled on it with a Brushed Corduroy distress marker, then spritzed it liberally with water and screwed it up a few times. The end result looks nice and shabby, just what I wanted.