A very easy tutorial on how to make an unusual pot with junk from around the house. Scroll down for the video version!
This is a really great way to recycle those glossy magazines and colourful leaflets.
The pot I am decorating here took less than one magazine to make.
I used a glue gun for speed. If you are making a decorated tin or plastic pot then you may need strong glue like this. If you are making a card pot then you can use PVA glue instead.
A pot or container
Some glossy magazines
A pencil, knitting needle, skewer or similar
Glue – glue stick or PVA (for making tubes)
Glue – strong PVA or hot glue gun (for assembly)
Tin Teddy butterflies
Watch the video for a detailed walk-through 🙂
Here is a summary:
- Choose a pot to decorate – you can use a card, plastic or tin pot
- Tear out pages from glossy magazines
- Roll a page around your pencil or knitting needle, from corner to corner
- Glue approximately the last inch (3 cms)
- Slide off the pencil/knitting needle and leave to dry
- Glue the tubes around your pot with PVA or a glue gun
- Trim the ends of the tubes so they are tidy
- Add strips of pretty paper to the ends if you want
- Add a coat of PVA glue or similar if you want to make your finished pot harder wearing
- Add braid, cord or paper to neaten the ends of the tubes
- Decorate with embellishments of your choice
You can do this project with any paper – newspaper looks great on a waste paper bin, and maps are very on trend right now